Thursday, October 30, 2008

Surgery Day

Well the day finally came that Andrew was going to have surgery. We knew there were some health issues with Andrew before we adopted him, and we were aware that he made need surgery on his heart, but we didn't realize that he would need some other things as well. The first procedure that he had done, was tubes put into his ears. Andrew has been struggling with his hearing and that is because of the fluid in his ears. In fact they think the fluid has always been there. Andrew also had to have two procedures done by an urologist today. The poor little guy had surgery head to toe just about. My husband and I started out the day by getting up at 4am in the morning so we could leave by 4:45am, to make it to the hospital by 5:30 am. Andrew seemed to handle the early hours well. In fact the first 5 pictures were all taken by 7:30am before his surgery. Andrew was such a tough little guy, and he didn't even cry or complain a bit when they pricked his finger to get a blood sample.
When the time came for them to take him back to surgery, my heart sank. My husband and I both were saying to each other, that we didn't think we could ever love this little guy as mush as we do! Sometimes when things are tough you realize the most how much people mean to you, and by all means I realized that Andrew is every bit one of my children. His sisters were so concerned about him and have been so sweet to him. Andrew you are a very loved little brother! Finally when surgery was over they called us back and Andrew had the roughest time waking up. You could tell he was in a lot of pain. They gave him morphine and then he finally napped. After he woke up he was back to crying again. We finally got him to stop crying with some apple juice in his cup. He then gave me the sweetest little wave. When we got home he would from time to time just scream and start hitting his head and when I would pick him up he wanted held but nothing was comfortable, so he would thrust his body backwards. My heart just ached because as a mother you want to take away the pain, but I didn't know what to do for him but just try to comfort him. He would have this pain for about 5 minutes, and then he would be fine.

By the way both surgeries went fine and the ENT said that he did have a lot of fluid in his ears. Later Andrew and I both crashed when we got home and when we woke up I called my mom to find out that Megan didn't make it to school today because she was throwing up sick. Of course the one day my mom was going to take her to school she decides to get sick, so my mom had to call off work. Sorry about that mom! My husband eventually got over my mom's to pick Megan up and when she got home not even 2 minutes later she was throwing up. As soon as she was done, Andrew was throwing one of the screaming fits from pain. Meanwhile Cain was going to leave to go to Alisha's volleyball game since they were 2 games from states division 1. This is the first time I felt like I wasn't enough for my kids. I needed to be with all three for different reasons, but I guess they all know I love them, and I do my best.

By the way Alisha won her game. Megan finally stopped throwing up before bed. Andrew stopped seeming to have so much pain, and fell asleep peacefully, and did I mention today was my Birthday. Well happy Birthday to me! Maybe we will get around to celebrating it at a different time. In the mean time I do thank God for watching over my son today! I did tell God earlier that I was grateful for the nine months that he protected him when we didn't have him, and I was also grateful for how he continues to watch over him every day! My little Andrew, I do love you with all my heart, and I am so thankful that you have come into our lives. I don't know what I would do without you. You have become such a big part of our family!

Andrew enjoyed all the toys, even if it was 5:30 in the morning!

This little guy had no idea what he was in for!

I decided to waist some time by turning a baby blanket into a head piece. Andrew looks like he is from Bible times.

This is Andrew resting peacefully after we got him to take a nap after surgery!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Oh dear!! I was thinking how hard my day was and then I read about your day and I just felt like we were in this together. I have one with a puke/poop virus (J) and one who won't sleep (E), me who has giardiasis apparently and is now on meds to help the stomach issues and a hubby who can't do enough for all of us and has had no sleep. ARGHHH!! I know exactly what you meant when you said you felt like you weren't enough for everyone. OH!! Happy Birthday, by the way!! I am also sad because we now can't go Trick or Treating. *sigh* It's just one day, right? I'm glad Andrew is feeling better. Surgery is very scary when it's our babies, isn't it? He's such a cutie pie. I'm glad things are improving!!