Friday, April 17, 2009

Daddy and Andrew's Day Together

Last week when I got home at 2:30am in the morning from my fiasco trip to Chicago, Cain had a story he wrote and printed up sitting on the counter. It isn't often anyone gets to hear about Andrew in daddy's words, and I didn't want this story to get lost anywhere, so what better place to put it then on my blog. You can tell Cain was getting tired towards the end and needed to end it, but I thought it was great to hear about Andrew and Cain's first weekend alone together. Andrew will enjoy reading this story one day.

DADDY AND ANDREW'S DAY TOGETHER
We had an appointment at 9:15am, so we could not dilly dally around. I (daddy) decided to fix myself and Andrew (my son) some eggs and sausage . This will come up later. Actually about 10:00. Well we left on scheduled with all the appropriate things for Andrew.
We arrived at the car dealership where my truck needed some work, pretty much on schedule. This is where I slowly and painfully learned that my wife is normally right in her suggestions to care for my son. If you ever come in contact with her, please do not mention that I said this. She suggested that I bring a stroller for Andrew as we wait in the car dealership unless I would like to run after him all day. I did not bring that stroller that was suggested.
Originally the appointment was supposed to take around one hour or so. Not so kind sir, not so. Remind me later, to tell you how long we were at the car dealership if I forget to tell you. Andrew loved the fact that there were cars and trucks everywhere he looked. For now we were on the inside of the dealership. First we sat in the really big truck. First the passenger side. Then the driver side. Then the back. Then back to the driver side. Oh yes, he did beep the big horn, but that was later when we were in the truck for the 3rd or so time. After the big truck we looked at other cars and trucks. Hopping in and out, pushing all the buttons, and pretending to steer of course. I was really proud of Andrew because he always wanted to put on his seat belt.
They did have toys at the dealership, but he could not be tied down too long to any one thing. Andrew really loved to just walk or run wherever he pleased. He would say hi to most of the people he would meet, or at least just wave. We did have banana and milk time, but that only slowed him down for a few minutes. Back to exploring for Andrew.
Andrew was particularly fond of a little red car. The seats folded down it the back, and I think that intrigued him. He went back to this same car three times during the morning. The salesman whose desk was next to the red car really took a liking to Andrew. He shook his hand, so of course Andrew said hi back to the salesman. On once of Andrew's later trips to see the red car, he spotted a pretty lady. First the ladies man gave her a wave from thirty feet away. Then he preceded to run to her and giver her a big hug. The lady said that Andrew had made her day. He is a heartbreaker or a heartthrob no matte how you look at him.
At some point I smelled a foul odor from Andrew's diaper. I think that the eggs from earlier were coming to the surface. No changing table in the men's bathroom so the floor had to do. He behaved during the chore, and I was quicker than normal.
We had many more rounds of car looking. We also took a nice walk or two outside by the cars, but it was kind of cold so we put a limit on that. Did I tell you that Andrew liked to bang his hands on the outside of the big truck. Yep. It only cost about $40,000. Of course all of the salesman were very busy (not really) staring at their desks while my little boy was cutting loose. Also more waiving and more hi's.
We did start to leave about 2 hours later. We took my, just worked on truck, around a couple corners in the parking lot and heard some clanging around the tires. The dealer had just replaced the rims so this was a problem I could not ignore. Back in we went. Another hour went by as I tried to contain the slightly irritated little boy. More car looking and more waiving. We played a Nintendo type game for awhile.
Back on the road again. Some rust got into the rims which was causing the noise. We proceeded to drop off papers to the accountants office and then to a couple stores. A lady at the store had to tell me how cute little Andrew was as he walked beside his daddy. She said he would take a couple little steps and then one giant step to keep up with daddy. We decided to go to Wendys, since Andrew had a very boring morning. He deserved a reward. Of course he said hi to some teenagers who then gave him a high five.
On our way now. Andrew, was in no hurry with his food, but I knew that it was past nap time. He finished his food in the car which helped keep him awake until just before getting home. Andrew went right to sleep for 2 1/2 hours. We had snack time later. Yogurt was a big hit. Most of it goes in his mouth.
Now we are off to a couple stores. I did promise Andrew that we would go to the big playground, so we did our shopping quick. More waiving from Andrew to people he likes. He really likes the women. He made an old lady smile at the store.
The rest of our day was pretty normal. We did spend some quality time at the park. Then it was home for dinner. Andrew did his best with the spaghetti. We watched a little TV, and before long it was time to get ready for bed. Speaking of which, Andrew's daddy is a little tired. I love my son! He brings so much joy to my life. He brings so much joy to other people lives. Without him, I think there would be a hole in my life that 100 separate people could not fill. Good night sweet Andrew. Daddy loves you!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Isn't that the cutest, sweetest story. Notice that not one time did he complain. Isn't that great?? What a great daddy Andrew has!! Tell Andrew that Ellie is sending a "Princess Wave" to him.